(The Center Square) – Louisiana has received a major federal disaster declaration following a severe winter storm that battered the northern part of the state with ice, extreme cold and widespread utility outages in January.
The declaration approves federal assistance for nine parishes – Bienville, DeSoto, East Carroll, Franklin, Morehouse, Ouachita, Richland, Tensas and West Carroll – allowing state and local governments to seek reimbursement for debris removal, emergency response costs and infrastructure repairs.
A spokesperson for the governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness told The Center Square the total amount of federal aid has not yet been determined. The spokesperson said the state is unlikely to secure individual assistance, adding that the bar for securing those dollars is very high.
“These dollars will be critical in ensuring the people of North Louisiana receive the resources and assistance needed to fully recover,” Gov. Jeff Landry said in a statement.
Louisiana’s congressional delegation had urged the White House to approve the declaration, noting the state has already incurred more than $11.39 million in storm-related costs. Earlier this month, the Federal Emergency Management Agency awarded Louisiana $3.75 million, around the same amount provided to Tennessee and Mississippi, to cover planning and short-term recovery expenses.
In a Jan. 10 letter to President Donald Trump, the delegation requested expedited disaster relief for the nine affected parishes and asked FEMA to cover the full cost of emergency response for 30 days. Lawmakers also requested debris removal assistance, infrastructure restoration funding and hazard mitigation support.
They further urged federal officials to consider individual assistance for residents, citing preliminary damage assessments suggesting eligibility.
The storm knocked out power to more than 175,000 residential customers, forced hospitals and nursing homes to rely on generators, closed schools and businesses and shut down Interstate 20 and other major highways for several days.
Damage to water systems left 32,487 customers without service and put as many as 187,359 residents under boil-water advisories, according to the delegation.
The Small Business Administration has also recognized the storm’s economic impact and is offering Economic Injury Disaster Loans in 19 of Louisiana’s 64 parishes.
The Jan. 10 letter supporting the disaster declaration was signed by Sens. Bill Cassidy and John Kennedy, House Speaker Mike Johnson, House Majority Leader Steve Scalise, and Reps. Troy Carter, Julia Letlow, Clay Higgins and Cleo Fields.