The Young Professionals Initiative of Northwest Louisiana, a program of the Greater Shreveport Chamber, named Dr. Donna Johnson as the recipient of the 2019 Young Professional of the Year Award.
The award was presented at the 13th Annual 40 Under Forty Awards and Gala held on Saturday, Dec. 7, 2019 at the Shreveport Convention Center.
Jana Freeman Forest, Chair of YPI, said, “Dr. Donna Johnson’s advocacy in technology expansion in Northwest Louisiana along with her commitment to the betterment of our community made her an outstanding selection for Young Professional of the year.”
Dr. Johnson is the assistant vice president for academic advancement and partnerships at Louisiana Tech University. She earned a Bachelor of Science in occupational education from Wayland Baptist University, a Master of Education from Wayland Baptist University, a Master of Arts (English) from Northwestern State and a Doctor of Education from Louisiana Tech.
She is president of Open Arms Adoptions, serves on the State Taskforce for Adult Learners, and on numerous committees with the Shreveport and Bossier Chambers of Commerce. She is a mom to two amazing teenagers: Jacob and Anna.
“Being selected as the 2019 Young Professional of the Year is an honor. The scope of impact for our 2019 class members is broad-reaching and hearing the accomplishments of all our class members makes me proud to have been among them. I truly felt like I was standing among giants. I strive to bring opportunities for our community members through education, volunteerism, and philanthropy, and I believe this award highlights the efforts I have put forth to overcome obstacles while seeking to serve others and grow personally. The fact that our class members are all embedded in diverse settings throughout Shreveport/Bossier offers encouragement for the positive future for Shreveport/Bossier,” said Johnson.
“With her combination of professional excellence, civic engagement and a passion for our community, Dr. Johnson exemplifies this year’s class of young leaders,” said Dr. Timothy Magner, President of the Greater Shreveport Chamber. “She is playing a critical role in expanding Shreveport-Bossier’s workforce pipeline through her leadership role at Louisiana Tech’s Academic Success Center located on the BPCC Campus.”
The 40 Under Forty Awards honor forty professionals under the age of 40 that have excelled in their careers, education, professional development, community leadership, and volunteer efforts. One honoree is chosen out of the 40 to receive the Young Professional of the Year Award for exemplary efforts in each category.
For a video introduction of Dr. Donna Johnson and the other 2019 honorees listed below, please
visit the following link: http://bit.ly/YPI-YouTube
The 2019 40 Under Forty honorees are:
• Laytoya Amos, New York Life Insurance Company
• Sheena Bryant, North Louisiana Economic Partnership
• Andrea Butler, Horseshoe Casino & Hotel and Harrah’s
• Jeremy Cave, CenturyLink
• Veronica Cook, CHRISTUS Highland Medical Center/ CHRISTUS Health Shreveport-Bossier
• Joshua Copeland, GDIT
• Demarcus Davis, Willis Knighton Health System
• LaTari Fleming, Seedlinks Behavior Management
• Patton Fritze, Red River Chevrolet
• Tharwat Ghattas, MD, Sound Physicians
• Carie Hart, Lola Magazine
• Jessica Hawkins, Centenary College of Louisiana
• Bevin Sutton Hicks, Lola Magazine
• Lisa Mason-Hollins, Caddo Parish Schools
• Michael E. Hollister, United States Air Force
• Jennifer Horton, United Way of Northwest Louisiana
• Lauren Jackson, Regions Mortgage
• Dr. Donna Johnson, Louisiana Tech University
• Spencer Kiper, Caddo Parish Schools
400 Edwards Street Phone: 318-677-2500
Shreveport, LA 71101 www.shreveportchamber.org
• Carly Koen, United Way of Northwest Louisiana
• Eric Lang, Lang Orthodontics
• Elissa Little, Little Realty, Inc.
• Dr. James Lowder, Southern Roots Dentistry
• Trey McGuire, The Warrior Network
• Taunton Melville, Blanchard, Walker, O’Quin & Roberts, PLC
• Candice Mills, Providence House
• Laura Beeman Nugent, LSUS
• Sam Ortiz, The Philadelphia Center
• Lindsey Pennington, MD, Lindsey Pennington, MD Facial Plastics
• John Gray Pou, Merrill Lynch
• Diedra Lewis-Robertson, Community Renewal
• Claire Sevier, Heard, McElroy, & Vestal
• Emily Smith, Community Foundation of North Louisiana
• Michael Smith, Pioneer Comfort Systems
• Aaron Storer, Storer Services
• Luke Thaxton, Thaxton Title
• Lakeisha Myles Towner, AEP/Swepco
• Dr. Candice Webert, Caddo Parish Schools
• Devin White Rachels, Caddo Parish Schools
• Joysaline Young, LCSW, NSW-C, Brentwood Hospital
YPI exists to create a network of community leaders under the age of 40 to enhance the development of Northwest Louisiana for the attraction and retention of young professionals in our region. YPI is proud of the role we play in the economic development of Northwest Louisiana.