I want you to know how vitally important it is for all of you to be engaged with the ongoing redistricting process in the state of Louisiana. This statewide process, which happens every 10 years after the completion of the census, determines our representation at the national as well as state level.
The Louisiana Legislative House and Senate committees are traveling the state to hear from citizens like you! They will be in Shreveport this THURSDAY, October 21 from 5:30-8:30 p.m. at the LSUS UC Theater. They want to make sure everyone is represented fairly throughout this process, and we do, too!
That is why it is vitally important for you to engage in this process with us.
What you need to know:
- Louisiana overall has gained population in the past 10 years but at a lower rate than the U.S. average. However, the state will continue to have 6 U.S. House Districts. What those districts will look like is up for debate at these meetings.
- The 4th Congressional District has lost population overall.
- Caddo Parish has lost population; Bossier Parish has gained population; Webster Parish has lost population; DeSoto Parish has gained population.
- Much of the growth within our state is in South Louisiana.
- Redistricting will take place for our Congressional seats, state House and Senate seats, Public Service Commission and Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE) Board and Supreme Court.
What does this mean?
- Our current Congressional District could change considerably or we could pick up the needed constituents from neighboring districts/parishes.
- All Congressional Districts must have 776,292 people within the district.
- Due to loss in population, many state House and Senate districts could look different. We could lose districts (have less) in North Louisiana after redistricting is complete.
What do we need you to do?
- YOU HAVE A SAY about what happens to the districts where you live. Stay informed and involved.
- Show up Thursday night at LSUS for the Redistricting Road Show Meeting. (5:30-8:30 p.m.)
- OR all regional meetings will be streamed live via the Legislative Redistricting site, Facebook, and YouTube. Join the meetings virtually HERE!
- Stay informed about the redistricting process.
- Contact representatives of the Legislative committees for redistricting HERE!
- Email me, Lisa Johnson, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any suggestions, talking points or questions about the process.
To see information on the numbers and the process, CLICK HERE to check out a presentation from the Louisiana Legislature.
You only get this opportunity every 10 years. Take it!