SHREVEPORT — Sci-Port is literally bringing science to the table in their new month long exhibit, Dining By Design, which will feature 16 local professional designers that have donated their talent and time to create tablescapes that will be on display during the month of September.
The new STEM-inspired exhibit is a combination of the blending of science and art that will showcase math, architecture, digital technology, design, and geometry, in addition to critical thinking skills and how these sciences came into play when creating these one-of-a-kind tablescape designs. States Dianne Clark, Executive Director of Sci-Port, “Science and art are similar in that they are expressions; they are both driven by curiosity, discovery, and the aspiration of knowledge of our world which is part of the ongoing mission of Sci-Port Discovery Center”.
Dining By Design is also utilizing this new exhibit as a community awareness and support project that will benefit some local non-profit organizations. There will be a sneak peek preview event on Thursday, September 2 that will act as a fundraiser for Sci-Port. These $50 per person tickets include a chance to see the tablescapes before they open to the public, meet the designers, experience homemade root beer at the science themed Liquid Nitrogen Root Beer Bar, interact with the Kendra Scott Color Bar “Lab” and enjoy an array of food from Cariere Catering. Waynette Ballengee is the honorary chairman for this special event and Dr. Angelique Feaster Evans is the honorary co-chairman.
Dining By Design will also feature a public voting process in which all Sci-Port guests will have the chance to vote on their top three favorite tablescapes. The top three winners will receive $500 to the charity of their choice.
Dining By Design Tablescape Desigers and Themes:
- Jacquie Barber and Clint Downing – Mode Luxe
- Bonne Summers and Ryan McCutcheon – Breakfast In Bed
- John Cariere and Susana Van Norman – Disco Is Not Dead
- Dennis Beckman and Deb Cockrell – The Enchanted Garden
- Kyle Loyd – Twinkle
- Myron Griffing – Head Of The Table
- Katy Larsen & Agora Borealis Artists– No Rainbow Without Rain
- Luke Lee – Shift
- Lauren and Derek Simmons – Andyland
- James Osborne – Rock Paper Scissors
- Karen La Beau – Blue Crawfish Experience
- Cassie Stone – Feed Your Soul
- Janie Howe Dickson and Jessica O’Neill – Midnight In The Garden
- Niema Longstratt – Coming To Wakanda
- Catherine Lewis Hobbs – Dinner On The Terrace
Volunteer Dining By Design Exhibit Coordinator, Bonné Summers, states, “Art is the communicator of science so this exhibit is the perfect fusion of art and science, but does focus on the scientific principles behind the design. This exhibit also showcases many local professionals in the creative design field that use science skills every day in their professions. We are so grateful for this creativity for a cause involvement with these designers’ time and talents to create this special exhibit”.
Sneak Peek Preview Tickets available HERE.