Bossier Parish voters will soon decide on renewal of a smaller ad valorem tax that generates funds dedicated to maintaining and operating the parish’s correctional facilities including transportation and medical care for prisoners.
Parish Police Jury members voted Wednesday to adopt a resolution calling the special election on the 10-year renewal of the tax for Saturday, Dec. 5.
When voters go to the polls, the renewal request will be for 3.02 mills, down from the 3.08 collected in 2019.
Bossier Parish Administrator Bill Altimus said the millage reduction comes in light of the parish’s 2020 reappraised property tax value which saw an increase of just over $18 million.
“We decided the increase in the Assessor’s reappraisal would justify us decreasing the millage for this tax renewal,” Altimus said. “At 3.02 we can appropriately fund the correctional facilities.”
In other action at Wednesday’s meeting, jury members:
- Agreed to set a disqualification hearing to consider revocation of any and all Bossier Parish Peddler Permits issued to Vivint Louisiana, LLC, and any personnel working therewith, due to violations of Bossier Parish ordinances.
- Agreed to abandon Sheppard Road, located in Section 30, Township 21 North, Range 11 West, and Section 25, Township 21 North, Range 12 West, Bossier Parish, LA.
- Approved the site plan for Rosedale Playground, located on Lot 8000, Rosedale Place Subdivision, Unit No. 8.
- Approved the plat of the proposed development of Fernwood Estates subdivision, Unit No. 4, being a resubdivision of Lot 21, Fernwood Estates subdivision, Unit No. 3.
- Scheduled public hearing on September 2 to consider approval of the plat of the proposed development of Bodcau Dam subdivision.
- Scheduled public hearing on September 2 to consider approval of the plat of the proposed development of Walker Estates subdivision.
- Scheduled public hearing on September 2 to consider approval of the plat of the proposed development of Dogwood South subdivision, Unit No. 21.
- Scheduled public hearing on September 2 to consider approval of the plat of the proposed development of Magnolia Ridge subdivision.
- Closed the property standards case on property located at 2774 Bellevue Road.
- Accepted reports on meeting of the Juvenile Committee, the Insurance Committee and the Road/Subdivision Regulations Committee.
- Approved a request from Matt Graves to lease parish owned properties located at 225 Shadow Ridge Drive, 227 Shadow Ridge Drive, and 301 Shadow Ridge Drive.
- Approved change order No. 18 for Bossier North/South Corridor Swan Lake Road, I-220 to Flat River.
- Approved change order No. 1 for FY 2019 LCDBG Sewer Improvements – Merrywoods subdivision.
- Approved change order No. 1 for Project No. 2019-118, 12-inch raw water line – Phase 2, for the Consolidated Waterworks/Sewerage District No. 1 of the Parish of Bossier.
- Approved change order No. 2 for Project No. 2019-132, West Linton Road extension to Fairburn Avenue.
- Approved change order No. 1 for Project No. 2019-112, Swan Lake Road re-alignment over Flat River.
- Adopted an ordinance amending Ordinance No. 4719, previously adopted on April 17, 2019, to correct typographical errors.
- Adopted an ordinance amending Ordinance No. 4771, previously adopted on June 17, 2020, to correct the legal description.
- Approved a Cooperative Endeavor Agreement between the Bossier Parish Police Jury and the Bossier Parish Levee District for the donation of a tank car to the Bossier Parish Levee District.
- Approved an administrative services agreement by and between the Consolidated Waterworks/Sewerage District No. 1 of the Parish of Bossier and Sligo Water System Incorporated.
- Approved certificate of substantial completion for FY 2018 LCDBG Sewer Improvements – Oak Hill Mobile Home Park.
- Accepted proposal of Owen & White, Inc. for professional services in connection with Espanita subdivision drainage funding application.
- Heard Bossier Parish Assessor Bobby Edmiston explain the Board of Tax Review scheduled for September 16, and the 2020 ad valorem property tax millages.