Leadership, faculty, staff and students recently celebrated the growth and accomplishments of research initiatives and funding at LSU Health Shreveport at the inaugural Research Celebration event held on Feb. 28.
Since July 1, 2018, 17 new research grants have been awarded to LSU Health Shreveport researchers, totaling more than $14 million in funding.
Faculty members who have excelled in various areas of research were also honored at the event.
- Dr. A. Wayne Orr, Director of the Center for Cardiovascular Diseases and Sciences, received the Excellence in Extramural Funding award for having three concurrent R01 grants from the National Institutes of Health that support his cardiovascular disease research efforts.
- Dr. Glenn Mills, Director of Feist-Weiller Cancer Center, received the Excellence in Translational Research award for his contributions to cancer treatment and research.
- Dr. Robert Rhoads, Emeritus Professor and former Chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, received the Excellence in Innovation award for his numerous patents made possible by discoveries in his lab.
LSU Health Shreveport Research By The Numbers:
- $14,381,598: Research dollars earned so far in FY18-19 by LSU Health Shreveport researchers
- 47: Number of current research grants
- 30: Number of U.S. patents issued
- 104: Number of International patents issued
- Ranked 2nd in the LSU System for patent income
- ·Home to four research centers:
- Center of Excellence for Arthritis and Rheumatology (CEAR)
- Feist-Weiller Cancer Center (FWCC), also a designated Center of Excellence
- Center for Cardiovascular Diseases and Sciences (CCDS)
- Center for Brain Health (CBH)