Norwela Council’s 21st Annual Whitney M. Young Service Award Recognition Banquet will be held Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 6:30 pm. The venue will be Ralph and Kacoo’s in Bossier City.
The Whitney M Young, Jr. Service Award Banquet is a fitting tribute to our community’s most dedicated civic and community leaders. The honorees have made significant contributions acting as advocates for inner-city and rural youth.
The following will be recognized for the various awards:
- Whitney M. Young, Jr. Service Award — Mr. Robert (Bobby) Madison and Ms. Tameko James
- Spirit of Scouting Award — Mr. Roy Griggs, Mr. Richard Wright, & Mr. Ardis Almond
- District Award of Merit — Ms. Bonnie French & Ms. Zenita Henderson
- Unit Leader Award of Merit Scoutmaster — Mrs. Rosie W. Hudson
- Honorary Chairperson — Mrs. JoAnn Steward
The purpose of the Whitney M. Young Jr. Service Award is to recognize outstanding services by an adult individual or an organization for demonstrated involvement in the development and implementation of Scouting opportunities for youth from rural or low income urban backgrounds – this is in fulfillment of Dr. Young’s dream of justice and equality for all.
The Boy Scouts of America provides the nations foremost youth program of character development and values-based leadership training which helps young people be “Prepared For Life” . The Scouting organization is composed of nearly 2.2 million youth members between the ages of 5 and 21 and approximately 960,000 volunteers in local councils throughout the United States and the its territories. For more information on the Boy Scouts of America, please visit www.scouting.org.