Beginning this week, construction industry professionals may register for the General Contractors Seminar of the Louisiana Contractors Accreditation Institute. The award-winning program provides technical knowledge that is essential for a general contractor working in the construction industry in Louisiana.
The program for general contractors debuted in 2018, and its success led to the new seminar that starts in March through the Louisiana Community and Technical College System, or LCTCS. Louisiana Economic Development, the Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors and LCTCS developed the institute to meet the needs of a growing construction industry. Since 2016, 749 participants have graduated from the seminars.
“Great things are happening within Louisiana’s busy construction industry,” LED Secretary Don Pierson said. “LED and its partners are proud to provide training for Louisiana citizens who seek to enter the industry and gain new opportunities for their business. The LCAI General Contractors Seminar can help individuals seeking a contractor’s license to better understand what they need to do to secure a license, establish a successful contracting business and win construction contracts.”
The 10-week course will be offered March 11 through May 15. It will feature two-hour sessions twice a week, on Mondays and Wednesdays from 6 to 8 p.m. Topics will include blueprint reading; building calculations; site work, demolition and construction; foundations, formwork and retaining walls; finishes; roof structures; structural loads; steel construction; related trades; special construction and equipment; and safety codes.
The course will be offered in interactive, distance-learning sessions broadcast live to multiple locations throughout Louisiana, including:
- Bossier Parish Community College, Bossier City campus.
- Louisiana Delta Community College, Monroe campus.
- River Parishes Community College, Gonzales campus.
- Delgado Community College, New Orleans City Park campus.
- Fletcher Technical Community College, Schriever campus.
- SOWELA Technical Community College, Lake Charles campus.
- Louisiana State University at Eunice.
- Central Louisiana Technical Community College, Alexandria campus.
- Northshore Technical Community College, Lacombe campus.
- Baton Rouge Community College.
- Northwest Louisiana Technical College, Shreveport campus.
- Nunez Community College, Chalmette.
The registration period is now open and will conclude on Feb. 25. To register, visit OpportunityLouisiana.com/LCAI-
Enrollment is offered online on a first-come, first-served basis. A $350 fee covers the cost of the course and materials. For more information, contact Cory Morgan of LED at 225.342.4317 or Cory.email@example.com; or contact Marlene Chauvin of LCTCS at 985.448.5915 or firstname.lastname@example.org.