Last week, Mayor-Elect Adrian Perkins met with Mayor Ollie Tyler and department heads to get an overview of governmental operations.
Perkins met individually with directors to ensure a smooth transition and to determine where changes might need to be made.
A news release stated that he has not asked anyone to vacate their position but has indicated some jobs will be open to new applicants.
“I would like all directors to stay on board during the transition period,” Perkins said via the email release. “In January, however, we will further evaluate some of those positions. When I’m officially in office, I can better assess who would be a good fit for my team.”
After the inauguration, Mayor-Elect Perkins plans to begin revealing his cabinet members.
Last week, Perkins announced the creation of his transition management organization, “Future of Shreveport.”
A 14-member advisory board comprised of individuals from diverse backgrounds will provide their experience and expertise as Mr. Perkins prepares strategies and policies designed to advance the “Future of Shreveport” mission.
The transition advisory board will be co-chaired by Anthony “Tony” Williams, CEO of Global Resource Solutions, Inc. and Graham Walker, president and CEO of Fibrebond.
In addition to advising the Mayor-elect before taking office, the board will oversee the development of a transition report, planned for release in early 2019. This report will reflect the charge of its committees and the overall vision of the Mayor-elect. It will include actionable policy recommendations and strategies the Mayor-elect can implement in his first term.
“It is important that this administration start with a strong foundation,” said Perkins. “I have assembled this team so we can enter office prepared, ready to get to work on day one. I want to start on the right foot and leave behind a solid transition blueprint for future administrations.”
The Mayor-elect’s Transition Advisory Board consists of:
- Dr. Ray Belton: President of Southern University System
- Lt. General Robert Caslen: Fmr. Superintendent of United States Military Academy, U.S. Army Ret.
- Lt. Gen. Bob Elder: Research professor at George Mason University, USAF Ret.
- Professor Gerald Frug: Louis D. Brandeis Professor of Law at Harvard Law School
Rachel Lawler: Owner Rachel & Co. Realty
- Kay Medlin: Attorney
- Elliot Rogers: Senior Vice President of Logistics at Ulta Beauty
- Dr. Navdeep Samra: Professor and Program Director in the Department of General Surgery at LSU Health Shreveport
- Tangela Silvie: Principal Cherokee Park Elementary School
- Shante Wells: Attorney
- Dr. Cheryl White: Associate Professor of History at Louisiana State University at Shreveport
- Joshua Williams: Attorney
Members of the public who wish to serve on a transition committee, board, or within the administration will be able to apply online in the coming days. The transition committees will start work in January.
Perkins is set to be sworn-in at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 29, at the Shreveport Convention Center.